I'm Stevens Mejia
Business Finance & Operations Integrator with Charisma
Internal Controls | KPI's + OKR's | P & L
Online + Small Business |
Coaching & Educator
I'm Stevens Mejia
Small to Midsize Business Finance Integrator
Hello, I am Stevens (go by Steven),
I'm a minimalist at heart Living Tiny in LA. I'm professionally experienced in Business Finance & Management, have a knack for research & analysis, an entrepreneurial spirit, and enjoy simplicity, small spaces, and cost savings.
Thank You for visiting today.
If you like to get to know me on a more personal level, you can read this publication by VoyageLA and/or invite me for a virtual coffee.
Ps. Yes, my first name does end with an "s". It's an Interesting story. I can tell you about it when we meet. Thanks!
WHAT I DO
Financial Health Support for Small & Online Businesses
"Back-End" Tech Stack Integrator
Biz Integrator for the Visionary
Business Coach & Educator
You can find me creating in the following platforms:
smartbizcreator.com | LivingTinyinLA.com | latchcollective.com
Location: Los Angeles, CA | Remote | Virtual
AS SEEN ON:
Don't take my word for it. The resources below evaluate my strengths as...
Based on Myers-Briggs I have an INTJ personality Type. It says I'm at my best putting ideas into action, quickly organizing people and resources to reach goals, and standing on logic and principles.
The VIA Institute of Character says my Greatest Strength is Judgment:
"Thinking things through and examining them from all sides; not jumping to conclusions; being able to change one's mind in light of evidence; weighing all evidence fairly."
I'm Good At...
Lead by example.
Learn it, practice it, teach it, support it. Actions create a far greater impact than what you say.
Creating and holding yourself and your team accountable creates trust. Trust enhances transparency to measure success and progress.
Adjust to the challenges and adapt to change. Some things can't be controlled, but how you react makes a difference with the result.
I'm Experienced With...
SaaS, Small to Mid-size Growth
Multiple company and industry experience. Software as a Service and small to midsize businesses
Financial Governance & Full Accounting Cycle
Reporting, KPI's, metrics and Financial processes. AP / AR / Cash Admin. Policies & Procedures
Operations & Finance Automation
Cross-functional workflow automation. Leading strategic plan and OKRs to fruition.
Internal & Cost Controls
I'm exceptionally good at cash burn management. Implementing talent and business systems.
I Have Hands-on Savviness with:
CRM & ERP Implementation
KPI's, Metrics & Dashboards
Remote Work Atmosphere
Bi-lingual (Native English & Spanish), corporate, online and progressive accounting, accounts payable (AP), Start-Ups, accounts receivables (AR), financial reports, dashboards, Excel, Microsoft office suite, Apple iWork, Google cloud GSuite, bookkeeping, cost analysis, cross-functional communication, project management, operations, Quickbooks, Waveapps, tech stack, ADP, Trinet, contracts, insurance, taxes, negotiations, virtual teams, payroll, online business.
MARCH 2019 - PRESENT
Co-Owner | Financial Oversight
LATCH Collective (Online Business)
Coop-owned and the largest Tiny House resource in California.
Oversee management of all financial affairs. Board liaison for all business matters.
- Played pivotal role in company reorganization growing from 2 founding members to 12 coop partners within the first year all bootstrapped.
- Transitioned financial processes from excel spreadsheets to a cloud-based financial software optimizing anytime, anywhere data access.
- Repositioned business model & brand to clarify market need resulting in paid subscribers growth by 680% and 36% increase in revenue.
- Hands-on digital marketing for traffic growth using social media, SEO, and funnels now serving over 3K monthly visitors and growing.
- Established coop business and legal structure.
MARCH 2018 - PRESENT
Vision & Finance Integrator
Page Investments / Los Angeles, CA (Fractional + Remote)
Real Estate company specializing in property management, residential and commercial investments.
- Overhaul of manual financial processes to cloud-based solutions allowing for remote management while reducing OPEX Ratio by 28%.
- Achieved a 40% reduction in workload hours by piloting CRM software to automate the property management cycle.
- Generated over $50K+ in additional revenue year-over-year innovating flex use of multiple properties as workspaces.
- Initiated activities changing mindset from “tenant” to “Resident” reducing turnover costs and increasing ROI for both residential and commercial units.
AUGUST 2015 -OCTOBER 2017
Chief Financial Officer
Zeusvision / Hollywood, CA
Privately owned outdoor advertising Agency.
- Increased revenue from $500K - $3M annually through targeted production line buildout, materializing complete overhaul of core financial and operational functions with cloud-based solutions, and maintaining lean management of cash burn.
- Reduced $150,000+ in tax exposure by uncovering financial discrepancies and renegotiating international relations with production line imports.
- Secured $1M line of credit leveraging cash flow to inject growth in expanding bus line of services.
- Increased client satisfaction from 57% - 92% by maintaining active transparent communication with clients and increasing efficiency in deliverables by 70%.
JULY 2011 - MARCH 2015
Phunware / Austin, TX (Remote)
Venture-backed SaaS company in the mobile space with primary objective to go public.
Recruited to Controller post acquisition. Maneuvered the finance department through rapid massive growth which included:
- Managing financial department through a 327% asset base increase obtained via both organic and acquisitions.
- Implementing HR functions to support headcount increase of 421%.
- Completed 3 successful merger and acquisition compliance and audits.
- Led financial day-to-day operations through revenue increase from $1M to $30M.
JANUARY 2006 - JULY 2011
Director of Accounting
GoTV / Sherman Oaks, CA
GoTV was a venture-backed SaaS company and the industry's largest mobile media network delivering multi-platform content.
GoTV was acquired by Phunware, Inc. in July 2011.
- Managed accounting and payroll departments for both corporate and studio divisions
- Successful completion of three-year audit with Ernst & Young
- Merger and Acquisition support for two separate companies
- Successful conversion of accounting system from QuickBooks Pro to Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains
JULY 2001 - DECEMBER 2005
ISSI / Los Angeles, CA
Privately owned outdoor hospitality company in the food and environmental industry.
- Managed all functions of Accounts Payable and Receivable
- Actualized account contracts to assure correct billing
- Prepared payroll for 400 employees
- Supervised accounting staff
MY EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor
Certified Life Coach
Life Coach Training Institute
Currently working through the following courses.
Siege Media Content Marketing Course
Digital Marketing Accelerator by Eric Siu
ThriveThemes SEO Sprint Course
Bachelor of Science, Finance
CA State University Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
Anthony Famini Memorial Finance Scholarship Recipient.
In 2017 I took some time off my career to self-build a Tiny House on Wheels. I have since parlayed this experience into amazing opportunities such as becoming a co-owner of LATCH Collective and educating Tiny House enthusiast on the costs of going tiny.
Business Finance Blog
I have spent the last few years learning about online businesses, trying out various tools, tinkering to get the gist of how entrepreneurs are making an impact online with their personal brands. This project is a result of my vision to educate diverse entrepreneurs on managing their online business finances.
Los Angeles Soccer Club
Board of Directors Member as Treasurer (Pro Bono)
LASC is a non-profit soccer organization with a mission to promote and support the furtherance of soccer in Los Angeles, CA.
Inspirational Speaker & Educator
- Mental and emotional resilience as an immigrant in the workplace.
- The value of financial management awareness for small and online businesses.
- The power of Business Minimalism
- Financial Awareness for Today's Youth
I am an Athlete - Soccer & Cycling is an integral part of my activities
I Enjoy the Outdoors & Traveling
What They Say About Me
Steven is the perfect combination of a really good "Life" coach and financial wizard.
Steven not only worked with me on finances he also taught me how to rewire my brain when it comes money.
Executive Editor ETonline.com
Steven has been a constant source of enthusiasm and inspiration, but the amount of knowledge he has about budgeting, planning and costs blew me away .
Founder, LATCH Collective
let's get in touch
Interested in working with me?